Mr B (Bilbo)

Alabama Rot confirmed in Welsh Valleys

What is Alabama Rot? Alabama Rot (properly known as Cutaneous and Renal Glomerular Vasculopathy or CRGV) is a new and emerging disease in the UK which can be rapidly fatal in dogs. The disease has been present in the UK for a number of years, but last week saw the first confirmed case in the […]

A puppy, kitten and rabbit dressed for christmas

Christmas Opening Hours 2017

Christmas is here again – always quicker than we expect! We hope this year has been good for you and your pets. Please see below for our Christmas and New Year opening Hours.

A spoon of peanut butter with jar in background

New Poisoning Alert in Dogs

Peanut Butter and Xylitol… For many years, Peanut Butter has widely been considered safe for dogs to eat. In fact, several manufacturers (such as Kong) recommend it for use with toys to help stimulate and interest your dog During this time, Peanut Butter has widely been regarded as safe for dogs and they can eat […]

Gold Cat Friendly certification logo

Gold Award for Tonypandy Branch!

We are very pleased to announce that our Tonypandy branch has been independently assessed and awarded the highest award of Gold for being a Cat Friendly Clinic.

A puppy, kitten and rabbit dressed for christmas

Christmas Opening Hours 2016

Christmas is here again – always quicker than we expect! We hope this year has been good for you and your pets. Please see below for our Christmas and New Year opening Hours.

front page of the book a hero's tail, about police dogs

We often work with the Police Dogs of South Wales,

and are pleased to be able to support them in the care of their animals. Now, we have an opportunity to support them indirectly too, with your help.

The officers and staff of the South Wales Police Dog and Mounted Section want to upgrade facilities for their service partners, but do not have public funds available. In partnership with Wood Green The Animals Charity and The Dogs Trust, they have produced a book of over 90 true tales. These events seen while working in partnership with service animals, helping provide you with an insight into the courage, humour, dedication and hard work that goes into the partnership between police officers and their animals. The book has a foreword by Paul O’Grady and more details and a sample chapter can be found at A Hero’s Tail Website.

We will be supporting them by selling the book (£9.99 with 100% of this going to the Police and Wood Green animal charity).In addition, to help them reach their goal we at Treforest Vets will also match this donation for the first 20 books sold. You can get hold of a copy just by dropping in.A Hero’s Tail

a poster warning about permethrin being toxic to cats - kill the fleas, not the cat

Our latest blog post focuses on some of the less common products that can cause poisoning in your pets

Everyone knows that certain human foods and products can be harmful for your pet animals, such as chocolate, onions and grapes (including raisins). In this blog post, we wanted to raise awareness of some less commonly known products which can be harmful to animals, two of which we have seen recently and one which has been in the news. Many people won’t be aware of the potential dangers these products can present to your pets.

Over the counter spot on products

icc-permethrin-for-poisoning-blogOver the counter spot on products (which can be bought without prescription) can represent a potentially fatal risk to cats. A popular ingredient in these spot on preparations marketed for dogs is a group of compounds called Permethrins. Cats have a neurological reaction to Permethrins which is very severe and unfortunately often fatal.

Signs include twitching, walking abnormally, muscle tremors and seizures and can begin soon after exposure or can be delayed up to 72 hours. Not all dog spot-ons contain Permethrin and those that do usually contain warnings regarding contact with cats. However, despite this, accidents do happen. We always recommend paying particular attention to the packaging.

Recently, we saw a cat suffering from Permethrin poisoning. The owners had taken care to apply the product only to their dog as directed. Contact between the cat and the dog was enough to cause a severe reaction in the cat. He required overnight hospitalisation and treatment for seizures but was lucky enough to make a full recovery. Poisoning cases like this where the cat has not had the product applied directly demonstrate how little is required to produce a serious adverse reaction.

If you think your cat may have been exposed to permethrin, the affected area should be washed with a gentle detergent and rinsed very thoroughly and veterinary advise sought.

International cat care (formerly FAB Cats) has a campaign and information page on the risk of permethrin poisoning in cats which can be found here: ICC – Permethrin

 Nicotine

nicotine-cartridges-for-poisoning-blogThe increasing popularity of E-cigarettes has led to nicotine containing liquids (in refills) being found in the home. E-cigarettes currently lack regulation which results in a huge variation in strengths, formulations and storage types of this product.

A recent sad case involves a puppy which chewed a nicotine containing E-cigarette refill which had been accidentally dropped. Soon after, the puppy started showing signs of nicotine poisoining, including salivation and vomiting. Despite the efforts of the local vet who saw it, the puppy could not be saved. BBC News – ‘Dangerous’ e-cigarette nicotine capsule kills puppy

We advise all owners to take extra care with handling and storage of these, and to treat them like medicines. Storage in a place out of accidental reach of children is advisable as well.

Xylitol

xylitol-for-poisoning-blogXylitol is an additive which is becoming increasingly more common in foods. It is used as sweetener so most often found in ‘sugar-free’ items such as chewing gums but can be found as a granulated sweetener. BVA – Artificial Sweeteners

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs, causing their blood sugar to drop suddenly and to critically low levels. Ingestion of even a small amount of the granulated product can be enough to be fatal. Quick veterinary attention is required in the case of suspected xylitol poisoning. If you suspect xylitol ingestion in your animal, contact us immediately and keep all packaging to show us.

Although poisoning is generally quite rare, it pays to be aware of the products which can cause problems. Many human medicines can also cause problems in animals and should never be given without discussing it with us first. In the event of any suspected poisoning or ingestion of a strange substance, our friendly team is always happy to provide advice and see your animal urgently when necessary. Please feel free to contact us on 01443 491433 and speak

In the last 12 months we have heavily invested in state of the art equipment to keep your pet happy and healthy.

If you’re looking for a veterinary clinic where the vets are highly experienced, the equipment is state of the art and the team are genuinely passionate about animal care, look no further. At the Treforest Veterinary Clinic we are dedicated to providing you and your pet with the very best of veterinary care.

You want a dedicated team to provide your pet with the compassion and attention they deserve. We are committed to caring for your furry friend as if they were a member of our Treforest family.

Our team know all too well that your pet can be unpredictable, running the risk of developing unwanted health conditions throughout their lifetime. The majority of these risks can be easily avoided by visiting our friendly veterinary team at least once a year.

We recommend that you book a routine annual health check to ensure your companion is healthy and happy at all times.

You will be thrilled to learn that our clinic’s substantial refurbishments have been recently completed. You will be welcomed by our compassionate team in a fresh, bright, and modern clinical interior. We guarantee that you and your pet will be comfortable in our practice at all times.

We take hygiene and waste management very seriously at the Treforest Veterinary Clinic. In 2013 we even won an environmental award. The “Love where you Live” awards recognised the clinic’s dedication to keeping our local environment in great shape.

Every patient is incredibly important to us. We know how important the wellbeing of your furry friend is, and promise to do everything we can to make sure your pet leaves us in the best possible health.

Have your pet cared for by an indisputable team of veterinary professionals. Call the Treforest Veterinary Clinic on 01443 491433.